Monday, March 15, 2010

The Last Lecture

After work today, I went to Borders to clear my mind and try and study a little bit. As I was walking toward the seats in the back, I stopped and picked up “The last lecture”. Before I knew it, I read half the book. I couldn’t believe how attached I was to this book, and I hate reading. The author’s story is so captivating. It’s weird, because the story is not very interesting, but I think it’s the build up. I can’t wait til I reach the end. My plan is to go back to Borders after work tomorrow to finish the last half. I don’t want to spoil any of it, but here are some thoughts:

In a nutshell, the lecturer/author is married and has 3 young children. He has been diagnosed with cancer, and is asked to perform his last lecture. And the book is about that lecture and his life. One of the lines that stood out to me was “Time is all you have. And you may find one day that you have less than you think.” It really hit me, what the hell am I doing with my life? It made me realize how precious time is. I realize that I waste my life away with certain things. I mean, I have hobbies just like everyone, and they are important to everyone, but I feel there’s more out there. In 3 months, I’ll never get to hang out with my roommates and go to the gym to play basketball. I’ll probably never get to watch Sportscenter’s Top Ten with them and talk sports. I’ll never get to play beer pong with them after we graduate. I take all these things for granted, and it’s really disappointing.

Another thing the author says is something like “brick walls are meant to keep some people out.” He kept talking about dreams, and how everyone should dream. He talked about never giving up, not settling. Blah blah blah I’m rambling about nothing

Things I want to do in the next couple months.
1. go skydiving or bungee jumping with jt
2. read more books: The Last Lecture, Big God, I heard the Andre Agassi biography is good
3. spend more time with my roommates

No comments:

Post a Comment