Monday, May 23, 2011

nice and sweaty

* last week

I'm in a basketball league that plays once a week. I was driving from tracy and had to be in sf by 11. so I get to sf on time, then I check my phone and see that my dad called me, I forgot a bag at home that had some important stuff in it. So eff my life. Now, after the game, I have to drive an hour back home, pick up the bag, and drive back to sf. This also means that I am going to miss the end of the okc/Memphis game 7, I would’ve recorded it but wasn’t at my sf place all weekend.

But anyway, the league is pretty cool, they keep all statistics, just like in fantasy, and use a 24-second shot clock. i think part of why i'm always reluctant to shoot is because i know that whenever i shoot, it's a pretty low % shot. but with the shot clock, there's so many more possessions, so if i shoot my normal 25%, hopefully no one will really notice how low of a % i actually shoot.

Early in the game, I got an offensive rebound, and put it back up, and got packed pretty hard (how come no one says pack anymore). The ref called the foul, shooting 2, but it was def a clean block. Damn ref, of course I miss my 2 free throws. that’s not gonna look good in the box score. Fortunately for my fantasy owners, I hit 2/4 from the field, with 2 3s. in terms of fantasy, I think I’m shane battier minus the good defensive statistics. It’s sort of embarrassing, I’m 23 and play like a 43year old man. I kind of just hang around the 3 point line, and on defense I always give my guy the open 3, partly because no one shoots a high %, but mostly because i know i will get blown by.

I’m on the free agent team, and only had 6 players for the game. We played the “sf warriors” and 8 out of 9 of the guys wore (what looked to be) authentic old school Chris webber year warriors jerseys with matching shorts and all. I swear we looked like 14.5 underdogs pregame. But we ended up winning by 1. We got pretty lucky down the stretch, on their last 3 possessions, they had a missed shot, traveling, and 3second call.

in the 2nd quarter, I actually blocked a shot in the key. I subbed myself out of the game because I was pretty tired, and I overheard the scorekeeper ask the ref who blocked that shot. Effffffffff, it was killing me, I wanted to tell him it was me, but I didn’t want to seem like a stats whore, which is exactly what I am. Odds are, that’ll be my only block of the season, and I just let it slip away.

But anyway, so I’m pissed off because I have to drive an hour back home, then an hour back to sf just for a damn bag that I forgot. So I get to tracy, get gas, and am looking for my giants sweatshirt (that i wore to the game) because it’s raining at this point, of course I left it at the gym. So I have to drive back to the gym, fortunately, it’s still there, pick it up. Go home. Tilted the rest of the day.

1 comment: