Tuesday, April 30, 2013

tackling fuel

maybe, possibly, doubt it, probably

what do those words all mean?
IF i have kids one day, they are not going to be using those words, but instead, they are going to use gambling odds (and over/unders) to describe situations.

here's an example. i ask my son one day "What grade are you going to get in math class?"
instead of him answering "Probably an A or B", he will instead answer "it's -120 that i get an A"

no maybe or probably, all numbers
=======
i can't wait. hypothetical conversation between me and my 11 year old son.

me: so what are the odds you get an A in history?
son: umm, to be honest, it's like +180.
me: whoa whoa whoa, but it was only +120 just last week, what happened?
son: umm, yeaaa, well we just had a big test, and it was dumbass hard.
me: hey, watch your mouth! how can it go from +120 to +180 in one week!? that's a big move
son: i hate the teacher. she hates me. it's like -250 that she's racist.
me: oh please. you better get it back down to +120 before spring break.

OR how about====
me: we're going to grandma and grandpa's house, get ready. what is the over/under on how many times  Grandpa C. says "you're getting so tall"?
son: oh man, Grandpa C is so funny, i'm setting the line at 4.5.
me: hmm, that's too high right?
son: nah, that's about right. last time he said it twice. but the time before that, it had to be 8 or 9 times.

OR how about i just have a whiteboard in my family room with FUTURES lines that i update once a week or so====
son: hey dad, i saw that the odds "for a summer vacation to disneyworld" dropped from EvenMoney to +160. is that a mistake?
me: no, no that's not a mistake. money has been a little tight around here.
son: what the fudge happened?
me: ask your uncle scott, he said the warriors were a lock to beat the spurs on monday. then he convinced me to dump our account on the the Rockets to beat the Lakers. boom, vacation now +160.


No comments:

Post a Comment